Sungard Public Sector provides a range of technology based products and services to the public sector. In an environment where client requirements and technical capabilities can change rapidly, Sungard faced a range of strategic challenges:
- How to qualify and prioritise emerging opportunities?
- How to adapt to changing circumstances while retaining strategic coherence?
- How to enhance the resource base and corporate governance while retaining flexibility and unit level decision making?
Quadrant was asked to work with Sungard to develop and deliver its three year corporate strategy.
What did we do?
We reviewed existing corporate strategies and business plans and talked to a wide range of people in the business at various levels, both in the operating units and in central functions.
This provided us with the material to develop emerging conclusions and to explore apparent issues and opportunities in a series of unit level workshops. Engaging a wide range of personnel at this level proved critical in providing a detailed bottom up picture of the business and its aspirations. The output from these workshops then formed the basis for a strategy that the business as a whole could support and implement.
What was the breakthrough for Sungard?
The direct engagement in strategy development of a broad range of personnel because it:
- Brought visibility to a wide range of issues and opportunities
- Allowed the differing units to clearly express their ambitions and resource requirements
- Enabled the final strategy to be ‘owned’ by management across the business